It is that time of year again where Mother Nature is having hot flushes of her own and does not know whether she is coming or going. One day it is mildly warm, the next it is raining and you take a fleece out with you just in case. Before we know it, Winter will be upon us and we don’t even want to think about the people who keep telling us ‘…it is less than 100 days until Christmas now…’
Because this all means that the coming seasons are yet again going to wreak havoc with our skin. After a long warm summer where we have managed to keep our skin protected, supple and soft, along comes the cold to ruin all of our hard work for the year. Or so you think…
We have picked out the top 3 irritating skin complaints that usually set in around Autumn, and we have provided some recommendations for how to prevent and solve them in some easy steps.
- Dry Skin
Changes in temperature and the re-introduction of central heating can cause our skin to become dry and dehydrated. On top of changing hormones, this can be quite uncomfortable as you may know. Ways to avoid itchy dry skin are:
- Exfoliate regularly – for gentle cleansing you can use a natural Konjac Sponge made from vegetable fibres, which are nicer for the environment and gentle for your skin but effective. You can buy these from http://www.hotflushstuff.com .
- Drink more water! When the air cools down, we sometimes forget that we need to keep drinking more than 2 litres per day, but this can significantly improve your skin and also the way your body functions, making you feel healthier all around!
- Make sure you moisturise! After cleansing, moisturising day and night will help to balance your skin’s oils and prevent the tight, itchy sensation we get when our skin becomes dry. Stratum C Protect Cream & Complete 4 Hand Cream are ideal for your hands & face to deeply hydrate and leave feeling silky smooth.
- Tired Eyes
The weather can make us feel groggy and the temperature changes could mean your sleep suffers and your eyes could show the effects. The best ways to tackle tired eyes are:
- Green tea bags – once you have brewed your healthy cup of green tea, don’t throw away the tea bag! Rest it on your eyes for about 10 to 15 minutes per day to help revive tired eyes and relieve dark circles
- Try some relaxation techniques for a better nights sleep. Drinking warm milk as it contains melatonin, a natural sleep hormone, and meditation or breathing exercises, could be the answer to a better night’s sleep. Try not to watch TV before bed, try reading a book instead to help you wind down.
- Use Stratum C Vitality Eye Serum – containing peptides which help to boost collagen, increase circulation, reduce puffiness & dark circles and hydrate the skin. What more could you ask for from a serum?! Available from stratumc.com
- Dull Complexion
The Autumn/Winter blues can often show through on our faces. To prevent this and look and feel your best, try the following top tips:
- Eat your anti-oxidants – these help to protect your skin of the environmental free radicals which cause our skin to age and damage cells. Anti-oxidants combat this and can be found in many fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, grapes, green vegetables, and foods containing vitamin C such as citrus fruit, sweet potato, butternut squash and many more.
- Smooth your skin for a reflective glow – by exfoliating and moisturising well, your skin gains a healthy natural shine that when reflecting the light, can often give your skin a glowing effect.
- Use Stratum C Calming Toner – containing CoQ10, Aloe Vera to soothe and a variety of powerful antioxidants to protect and calm your skin, this gorgeous naturally scented toner is just what your skin needs to maintain a healthy pH balance.
So there you have it. Follow these steps and you should be able to maintain a healthy glow all through the colder seasons. For more information about Stratum C products, or for more on how menopause can affect the skin, feel free to visit the Stratum C website www.stratumc.com.